Have you ever been to a language exchange before? At a Japanese and English language exchange, speakers and learners of English and Japanese gather together for an hour or two and practice their language skills. It’s a great way to both learn and meet new people!
Being such an international city, these kinds of events are quite common in Toronto, though their quality sometimes leaves something to be desired. Toronto Seikatsu Support’s language exchange (officially called Rudo’s Japanese & English Learning Meetup) strives to be one of, if not the best, Japanese and English language exchange in Toronto.
How we're different.
What sets this language exchange apart from others is:
- Worksheets for learning English and Japanese. A lot of exchanges expect you to just sit and talk for 2 hours, which can sometimes get really dull (and doesn’t help you learn unless you are really self-motivated and prepared). Our worksheets are created to get you thinking, practicing, and learning English or Japanese with your partners, even if you’re a complete beginner.
- Serious and friendly learners are welcome. Sometimes at other exchanges, you sit with people who aren’t even trying to learn the language. Not here. We have many friendly people who are eager to learn and teach others.
- Multiple days. We have language exchanges 3 days a week (Wed/Thur/Sun), which is great for who need more options, or for those eager folks who want to learn a lot.
- Monthly events and socials. Study hard, play hard. Our monthly events are another great way to make new friends and to get to know your study partners better.
- Reasonably priced. Our events are typically $3-5 each. For the price of a coffee, you get to meet friendly people and enjoy learning another language. We also have a stamp card to reward frequent learners, as well as multiple payment options.
How to join our exchange
Create a Meetup account..
To join our language exchange, you need a Meetup account. You can download the app on your phone and/or go to meetup.com in your web browser.
After signing up for an account, visit https://meetup.com/rudo-meetup and click the “Join” button. When we create events you should get a notification and/or email, but you can also browse our upcoming events by going to https://www.meetup.com/rudo-meetup/events/.
Note: When signing up for a language exchange event, if you are Canadian/an English speaker, please sign up for the (English Side) event, and if you are Japanese, please sign up for the (日本人用) event. If the event says “full”, please join the waitlist, and a spot may open up for you before the event starts. If you can’t attend anymore, please change your status to ‘not going’.